Whenever I am craving something more often than not it is something salty rather than something sweet. Sweet has never really been my thing, but salt is kind of a weakness. But the things that I do like that are sweet always have another layer, they are sweet but also salty, or sweet but also spicy. There is always something else to break up the sugar. That’s why salted caramel is one of my favorite things, and that is kind of the concept behind this drink.
There isn’t anything sweet here but the whole concept of layers of flavor is definitely present, crisp, sour and bright cucumber and lime balanced with the spice of the jalapeno is amazing. The lime and the cucumber on their own are kind of boring, the jalapeno and ginger beer would be way too spicy but together they compliment each other in a really surprisingly perfect way.
Plus, it’s the weekend, and this is a cocktail. There really shouldn’t be much more that I need to say.
- 4 ounces cucumber infused vodka
- 1 ½ ounces fresh lime juice
- 3-5 slices of jalapeno
- Ginger beer to top
- To make the cucumber infused vodka simply slice up some cucumber, cover the slices with vodka and let the mixture sit for 20-30 minuets.
- Strain out the cucumber pieces and reserve the liquid.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice combine the infused vodka, the fresh lime juice and 1 slice of jalapeno. Shake to combine and strain into cocktail glasses.
- Top with the ginger beer and garnish with one or two slices of jalapeno each depending on the heat level you are looking for.