This is the time of year that feels like it’s very much in between two seasons, even in California where we barely have anything actually resembling seasons. One day it will be sunny and warm and the next it will pour down rain. Even on the sunny days the nights cool down fast, so when it comes time to look for a cocktail to unwind in the evening where do you turn?
To me strawberries say summer time, they are fresh and bright and made all that more lively with the mint. But then the bourbon has a richness to it and a warmth that puts this cocktail squarely in that weird window between winter and spring time.
- 3 strawberries, halved
- 5-6 mint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- 2 ounces bourbon
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- In the bottom of a cocktail shaker muddle together the strawberries, mint, and lime juice until it is a well-combined mash.
- Top this mixture with some ice cubes and the bourbon and simple syrup.
- Shake well to combine and strain into a tumbler with ice.
- Garnish with a sprig of mint and enjoy.